Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I Didn't Cheat On My Wife

My good friend got married this weekend. I was a bridesmaid and my daughter was the flower girl. It wasn't something that I could simply say, "I can't make it." It was a hard weekend facing everyone who knows what my cheating husband did to me. Not only that, I was surrounded by the promises of fidelity, faithfulness and through sickness and health, for richer or poorer, through good times and bad.

At the rehearsal dinner, the priest stood up front to bless the meal. He told a story that sent me raging. Here is the story:

Photographer: Francesco Marino
A man dies and is at the gates of heaven. God says, "You need 100 points to get into heaven.  What have you done to warrant you 100 points." The guy tells God that he has been married 53 years. God says that he gets two points for that. The guy then says proudly, "I have never cheated on my wife nor in my heart." God exclaims that he also gets two points. The guy seems perplexed and says that he served his wife breakfast in bed at least once a week. God says he gets one point for that. He then says that he gave his wife a bath at least twice a week. God says that he also gets one point for that. The guy wonders how he will ever get into Heaven. He then said, "I have always held my faith in God." God lets him in.

My cheating husband will never be able to say that he never cheated on his wife. How ridiculous is that? The one thing you should never do in marriage, and he does it. What a fool. While he is repenting and trying to make up for his "mistakes", the fact is that he did it. You can't go back and undo what has been done. Sure, you can live life as a better person, but in my eyes, you will always have that sin as part of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!